Squadron 42 is the legendary volunteer unit assigned to the UEE's Paul Steed (CV 023) of the 2nd Fleet of the United Empire of Earth Navy. It can be found in many warzones and even took part in the Second Tevarin War's infamous Battle of Centauri in 2610. Those who enlist with the 42nd Squadron may earn UEE Citizenship.
Behind the scenesEdit
Squadron 42 is a single player campaign that takes place within the Star Citizen universe. It can be played off-line. Squadron 42 will be released in 3 episodes or stand alone games, the first of which will become available as early as 2016.[source?] The first episode will have 70 missions which will total up to 20 hours of gameplay.
As stated in the CitizenCon 2016 presentation by Chris Roberts, the ambition and scope grew since first pitched in 2012:
- 28 chapters equivalent to 60+ missions
- A-list cast to match any event movie
- 340 speaking roles with state of the art facial scanning and mocap
- Over 20 hours of performance capture
- Story arc with 1255 pages of dialogue
- 40 distinct ships from fighters to dreadnoughts
- Hand-crafted environments enhanced with procedural tech
- Systemic space and FPS gameplay - from stealth to brute force
- Dogfighting in both space and planetary atmosphere
- Subsumption AI - fully systemic, 24-hr schedules, 1000+ subroutines, simultaneous secondary objectives
There is an official trailer and information page about the game featuring Gary Oldman as Admiral Bishop, listing Mark Hamil, John Rhys Davies, Gillian Anderson, and others.
Development started with the announcement of Erin Roberts joining the project with the Studio Foundry 42 in Manchester at the CitizenCon 2013.