A Player Organization is an entity that is characterized by being a combination of several individual human players, usually having a common goal. The goal in question could be, but are not limited to, accumulating assets, trade information and goods, to provide increased power and influence to its members, or just a form of social exchange. The organization system for Star Citizen was first opened to the players the 21 of January 2014, after it been in a closed testing phase for a shorter time.
There are currently five different archetypes for organization. While there are no technical difference between the archetypes, they do exist to provide a feeling about the organizations more overall goal.
- Corporation – a for-profit business entity. A corporation is a great choice for everything from shipping flo-pets to Goss II to organizing a hostile takeover of Origin Jumpworks.
- PMC (Private Military Company) – For organizations with a taste for combat. Focuses for PMCs include escorting cargo runs, hunting for pirates or helping the UEE take on the Vanduul.
- Faith – Organizations that have come together for a single cause or under a single banner. This could be rebels fighting for Terran independence… or the devout followers of the LAMP!
- Syndicate – Common interest groups for those who operate on the edges (or outside) of the law. There’s safety in numbers when you’re moving contraband through Spider or preying on hapless cargo ships.
- Organization – Want to make your own way without any previous association? Feel free to leave your group’s archetype blank!
A Spectrum ID, or SID for short; is a ten-character, all capitalized, alphanumeric designation that is unique to a Organization. The Spectrum ID is used to separate organizations that bears the same name, as well as being a part of the organization's URL. Only persons who owns Star Citizen can be a member in a organization.
Activities describes more precise what activities that the organization will partake in. When an organization is created, its founder must choose a primary activity and a secondary activity. These option will make it easier for potential members to find an organizations that most resemblance their liking.
The current list of activities is: 
- Bounty Hunting
In a developer update the 6th December 2013 Cloud Imperium Games described some of the features they plan to release as the development progress.
- Organization Forums – Every organization will have its own, private forum through the RSI site!
- Org Blog – Featuring a shoutbox and the ability to post news updates. Keep your organization informed with your own Comm-Link.
- Visual Chart – An interactive display showing all of your organization’s divisions, jobs and members.
- Fleet View – See your group’s ships!
- Calendar – Set up squadron meetings, big events and more.
- Voting – Make your group decisions based on your team’s consensus.